Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Kobalt 6-Amp Corded Reciprocating Saw Review

The Kobalt 6-Amp variable speed corded reciprocating saw features a tool-less clamp and a soft-grip barrel and handle. Kobalt is a tool brand most commonly found at Lowes home centers. I've had this tool on my list for a while now and recently found one in like-new condition at Goodwill. I paid about $34 for it with shipping. Most people these days are looking for cordless power tools. And this one is mainly for light duty use. I saw several being sold on Ebay in non-working condition, so I expect the life span to depend on how much use it gets.

I got a case and one blade with it. The blade turned out to be a little dull, so I ordered a couple new blades. I plan to use it for removing dead shrubs and surface tree roots from the yard. It will also come in handy if I need to cut a board or two. The tool is one of the smallest reciprocating saws you can get, but still weighs in at 4.8 Lbs. The tool-less blade clamp makes it easy to remove the blade for storage. It has an orbital action switch, but I don't know how useful that will be. 6 amps is on the low end for power although the blade moves at 3500 strokes per minute when you give it full trigger. When you buy it new from a retailer, it comes with a 5-year limited warranty. Seventy seven percent of buyers gave it 5 stars and the others mostly complain about it not having enough power or the non-traditional design. You can get this model at Lowes.com for $59 until Aug. 4th, 2023. That is a $20 discount off the regular price. The most popular Kobalt reciprocating saw at Lowes is the Kobalt 24-volt Max Variable Speed Brushless Cordless Reciprocating Saw, which sells for $129.

This would have helped with this year's deck refinishing project. I had replaced a few boards and repainted the deck in 2022, but the deck needed another coat of paint this year. I replaced a couple more deck boards and gave it a coat of Sherwin Williams SuperDeck solid color stain. I prefer the SuperDeck stain over the Cabot stain that I used last year. Plus, the SuperDeck stain was on sale for 35% off. Hopefully it will hold up to winter better than the Cabot stain. Although, I only put on one coat of the Cabot stain. The SuperDeck stain shown here is Cabin Brown. It is a nice neutral color that looks a lot like composite deck board in this photo. Now the railing color doesn't match. Maybe next year.



No comments: