Thursday, January 30, 2020

Sharing HD TV Antenna Using Cable Wiring

I have always had problems getting a good digital TV signal in the lower level of our home. The problem is that the antenna is just above ground level and needs to be higher to work better. I have a similar antenna connected to the TV on the upper level and it works fine. The home has wiring for cable TV in 3 rooms. One coaxial cable outlet on the lower level and two on the upper level. Since I no longer subscribe to cable TV, I thought maybe I could use the cable wiring in the home to connect to the antenna on the upper level. This would allow me to use one antenna on two TV's.

My cable router is connected directly to the line coming into the home, so all of the in-home coax was not being used. The in-home cables are connected to a splitter near the line coming into the home. All I needed to do was connect a splitter to the cable on the upper level to run the antenna signal to the lower level. The output on the upper level antenna is connected to the splitter with one line going to the TV and the other to the in-home cable network. The lower level TV is connected to the in-home cable line. To my surprise this re-purposing of the in-home coax cabling worked perfectly. The lower level TV can now get channels that previously would not come in. I thought I would share this tip for the cord cutters out there who have cables in their home that are not being used. I recommend using high quality 1 Ghz coax splitter/combiners with good cable and you should get similar results. My home is in a suburb of a large city, so a roof top antenna is not necessary for me to get 15 to 20 channels. The higher the antenna is, the better it will work.

No comments: