Saturday, July 11, 2020

HP Color LaserJet Pro 400 M451dn Printer

Just acquired a used HP Color LaserJet Pro 400 M451dn Printer. I have been looking for a color laser printer that would allow me to make professional looking cards and labels. My old inkjet and monochrome laser printer are no longer up to the task. I limited my search to the Hewlett Packard brand, mainly because they are one of the most well known printer brands for home and office. The LaserJet Pro 400 M451dn came out in 2013 and retailed for $759.95. Now, you can find this model in used and refurbished condition for under $200.

My first impression is that the M451dn is extremely well designed and easy to setup and operate. This may be overkill for a home office, as it weighs in at 52 lbs. But, the print quality is very good and it should last many years if you can find one that has a low page count. The one I found had printed just over 8000 pages. I would consider that low for a 7 year old printer that was designed for business use. The M451dn can handle a fair amount of printing, with a recommended actual monthly print volume of up to 2000 pages. The biggest draw back with a color laser printer is the cost of toner, since it needs 4 toner cartridges. A full set of genuine HP cartridges for this printer costs $438.99. This will give you around 2600 color prints. Luckly, you can get a set of remanufactured cartridges for this printer for $78.95.

Update on my last post: I may have spoke too soon about Australia being a good place to avoid the virus. Reports show that they have had a spike in new infections in the last week. July 10th shows 300 new cases in Australia (population 25 million). This is still far below the 11,430 reported in Florida (population 21.5 million) on the same day. The state where I live had 604 new cases in a population of 5.6 million.

No comments: