Friday, December 09, 2022

Xfinity Increases Internet Pricing (2023)

 


Well, it didn't take long for Xfinity to announce a 2023 price increase on Internet. Just one month after bumping the speed up on their Internet service, they are raising the price. Here are the new 2023 plans:

  • Connect:             (75 Mbps) Old $60 - New $61
  • Connect More: (200 Mbps) Old $70 - New $73
  • Fast:                 (400 Mbps) Old $80 - New $83
  • Superfast:         (800 Mbps) Old $90 - New $93
  • Gigabit:          (1000 Mbps) Old $100 - New $103
  • Gigabit Extra: (1200 Mbps) Old $110 - New $113
Performance Select (My plan) isn't on the list anymore. Since the speed is now 200 Mbps, I guess they now call it "Connect More". They seem to change the plan names every year, depending on who is in charge of their marketing department. My December 2022 statement says that the price of my plan will increase by $4, from $58 to $62. That is $11 less than the new price for the "Connect More" plan.

Another confusing thing is when you try to change your plan, the Xfinity website shows discounts for new customers. For example, the "Connect" plan has a price of $24.99 and the "Connect More" plan has a price of $39.99. The details say: "Offer ends 12/21/2022. Limited time offer. Restrictions apply. Not available in all areas. New residential customers only." Why am I being show this if I am an existing customer? The discounts last for 24 months, then increases to the full price. $62 for 200 Mbps is a good deal if that is now the price for 75 Mbps. But it wouldn't surprise me if my bill went to $73 at some point.

Just as I suspected, last month was a challenge to stay under the 1200 GB download limit. We had to reduce our video streaming time during the last few days of our billing cycle. With the 200 Mbps speed, streaming apps are using HD quality because they no longer have a slow speed to deal with. I may have to restrict the speed on the router for the smart TV. That would hopefully allow other devices to use the higher speed and we wouldn't have to worry about the monthly download limit as much.

Even the discount for paperless billing and auto-pay is changing from $10 to $5. I checked my account settings and noticed that I don't have those settings activated. I had been getting both an email and a paper copy of the bill, but I plan on changing to paperless and auto-pay for next month's bill. Hopefully, I can get the $5 discount which would bring my monthly bill down to $57. 

No comments: