Friday, September 20, 2024

Purenat Water Filter System Review

When our new refrigerator arrived back in February 2024, it came with an ice maker. But I didn't have easy access to water or the money to buy a water filter. The water line would need to be routed through several kitchen cabinets and behind the oven to reach the back of the refrigerator. Six months later, I received a cash gift card for my birthday and decided to use it to finally hookup the ice maker. During the long wait, I had been researching water filters and had put the Purenat under sink system on my Amazon wishlist. It took a while to find one because there are so many to choose from. I picked the Purenat because it can handle both kitchen faucet and the icemaker (see image). It also comes with enough fittings to handle most installations, and the price was very reasonable. I mainly wanted a filter that would reduce rust, lead, heavy metals, chemical impurities, and Chlorine taste from the tap water.

Being able to have filtered water on the cold side of the faucet is a big plus. This will allow us to stop buying bottled water from the grocery store. Bottled water isn't expensive, but I figure we can save enough money to pay for the filter in a year or two. It didn't take long to install the filter. I first needed to fix the valve for the hot water under the sink. It would no longer turn and needed to be replaced. I bought a 1/2" Sharkbit Max 1/4 turn valve because they don't need solder. I bought a pipe cutter to remove the old valve. After deburring the end of the copper pipe, I pushed the new valve onto the end of the pipe and hooked up the line for the faucet. No leaks! Great, so I proceeded to install the filter and hooked it up to the cold-water supply and then to the cold faucet.

I waited until the next day to route the 1/4" OD tubing to the refrigerator. That part took the most time. The Purenat filter came with 15 feet of tubing. I thought that would be enough, but it didn't allow the refrigerator to be pulled out from the wall. Lowes only sells 1/4" OD tubing in a 25-foot length and I only needed an extra 5 feet. It's a good thing that they only charge $5.48 for a 25-foot roll. I put an extra shut-off valve behind the refrigerator and one at the filter which is mounted under the sink. I opened the valves and there were no leaks! I turned on the ice maker and it started working right away. I threw out the first bin of ice before using any, which is what they recommend. I was impressed with the quality of the water coming from the filter. The reviews said that there was no noticeable reduction in water pressure, and I can confirm that to be true. Many reviews for other filters had complained about lack of water pressure. I'm sure the filter isn't going to be as good as some of the more expensive models that can remove TDS (Total Dissolved Solids), but it is much better than not having a filter.

No comments: